Suggestion for Deep Telephoto Lens for D100?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Gary Morrison, Mar 11, 2005.

  1. Lucky me chanced upon a little bit of a financial windfall, and would
    like to get a vibration-reducing (motion compensating) long-telephoto
    lens for my Nikon D100. I'm thinking about something in the 300mm-800mm
    range, preferably with zoom.

    Do any of you have any suggestions for such a lens? Thanks for the ideas.
    Gary Morrison, Mar 11, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. Gary Morrison

    Jim Guest

    Sure, since it is your money... It would be the 200-400 f4 zoom. You could
    throw in a 2x converter as well.
    Jim, Mar 11, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. Gary Morrison

    Mark Bohrer Guest

    I'm a former Nikon user - sold my D1H, 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 80-200mm
    f/2.8, and 300mm f/4 a couple years ago. I use Canon now (I needed
    their long IS glass for wildlife - 500mm f/4L IS or 400mm f/4 DO IS,
    sometimes with EF 1.4X II teleconverter if I can get away with f/5.6).

    I tried Nikon's 200-400mm f/4 VR at last year's NANPA summit and liked
    it - good focal length range and lens speed, good handling if a little
    heavy for handheld flight shots. The 400mm end is a little short for
    smaller perching birds and raptors but just fine barefoot for large
    mammals, and small mammals with a 1.4X teleconverter if you've got
    enough light.

    Nikon's 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR lens used to stop working in rain at pro
    mountain bike races I used to shoot, and I wasn't the only shooter
    having that problem with the lens. I'd stay away from it.

    Sigma's 300-800mm f/5.6 lens looks nice but no VR, and consider
    getting a pack mule to carry it if you buy one. If you need more than
    600mm (and 600s are heavy beasts at 12 pounds or so) you probably need
    to get closer to your subject instead.

    That's cheaper anyway... ;)
    Mark Bohrer, Mar 11, 2005
  4. Good suggestions. Thanks!
    Gary Morrison, Mar 12, 2005
  5. Gary Morrison

    retoohs Guest

    Every lens I fit to my Minolta 7D has image stabilizing, there is no
    other option as Minolta (Konica-Minolta) built it into the body instead
    of the lenses and it works fantastically (it can be turned off of
    course). It doesn't matter if you are using 3rd party lenses either,
    they all become Anti-Shake (AS) lenses. If you are considering getting
    several VR/IS lenses compare costs in changing systems. The 7D is in the
    same league as the D100 (not an entry level camera like the D70) but has
    far newer technology and produces a far higher quality image (I hear the
    D100 is going to be replaced soon with a D90)

    retoohs, Mar 12, 2005
  6. Gary Morrison

    Stan Guest

    The Minolta 7D is a nice camera, as is the Nikon D00 & D70, and the
    Canon 20D and probably the new dRebel xT. Each has features designed to
    attract a niche following.

    The minolta is good in that all lenses become "anit-shake" on the 7D
    body. The flip side is that the Nikon and Canon anti-shake lenses make
    all of their bodies "anti-shake."

    It all comes down to what you have, what you need or what you want.

    * * * To reply, remove numbers from address.

    Stan, New Orleans,,

    x-- 100 Proof News -
    x-- 3,500+ Binary NewsGroups, and over 90,000 other groups
    x-- Access to over 1 Terabyte per Day - $8.95/Month
    Stan, Mar 12, 2005
  7. Gary Morrison

    Jan Guest

    Your 80-400VR would be my best suggestion. Works great for me.
    (However, lately I shelved this in lieu of a Lumix with the 12x
    Leica-designed lens...)

    Jan, Mar 12, 2005
  8. Gary Morrison

    retoohs Guest

    Good point Stan, I never thought about it that way. For those still
    using film this is a huge factor isn't it.

    retoohs, Mar 12, 2005
  9. Your 80-400VR would be my best suggestion. Works great for me.
    I just tried it out at Precision Camera in Austin. That is indeed a
    very nice lens!
    Gary Morrison, Mar 12, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.