The beginning of the end for consumer DSLRs?

Discussion in 'Digital SLR' started by Bruce, Sep 30, 2010.

  1. Bruce

    Russ D Guest

    Too bad you missed the ones of the Florida Panthers taken in IR at night.

    As for all the other species of animals I've posted (not moths) that are
    alerted to shutter noises, you're just a fuckingly pathetic **** of a
    pretend-photographer troll that only remembers what they want to remember,
    when it suits their troll's only purpose.
     
    Russ D, Oct 1, 2010
    #21
    1. Advertisements

  2. Bruce

    Bruce Guest


    Is that why you bought a Nikon DSLR?  So you could feel closer to the
    manufacturer you whine about most?


    (I thought I would ask the question again in the hope you would answer
    it, rather than giving an unrelated reply.)
     
    Bruce, Oct 1, 2010
    #22
    1. Advertisements

  3. Bruce

    Bruce Guest


    A similar explanation was offered to support statements that DSLRs
    could not be used to shoot video.

    Then - guess what? - Live View became an essential feature of any new
    model of DSLR. Soon after, video became the next essential feature.
     
    Bruce, Oct 1, 2010
    #23
  4. Bruce

    tony cooper Guest

    The neighbor's cat photo? I remember that one. It was clearly
    discernable as a member of the feline species, but too blurry to tell
    what kind of house cat it was.

    I did notice that it was not another blurry rare moth. Your photo of
    that rare moth was much blurrier and out of focus. It is rare to see
    a photo that bad linked to. Normally, people delete the really bad
    shots.
     
    tony cooper, Oct 1, 2010
    #24
  5. Bruce

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : > Panasonic developed, one of the strongest selling points for consumer
    : > DSLRs will suddenly disappear.
    :
    : It is inevitable that mirror-penta prism cameras will die off. Cost
    : is the driver. Unless Nikon and the like want to jump prices up to
    : $8000-$15000 for top of the line DSLRs. Course, knowing Nikon, it
    : would be in-character.

    I guess my imagination is as vivid as yours, but I can't conceive of a reason
    to suppose that you're right. The overvalued yen might make DSLRs harder to
    sell, but it doesn't make them more expensive to produce. Can you cite any
    evidence to support that prediction? Or are you just outgassing some pent-up
    hot air?

    Bob
     
    Robert Coe, Oct 1, 2010
    #25
  6. Bruce

    peter Guest

    Correction:
    Rich will bitch regardless of whether there is justification.
    He will also blame any group other than Canadian whatever he is, for the
    worlds troubles.
     
    peter, Oct 2, 2010
    #26
  7. Bruce

    peter Guest

    We understand that you're a busy guy, doing constructive things. Just
    look at your posting volume.
     
    peter, Oct 2, 2010
    #27
  8. Bruce

    peter Guest

    Says busy Rich, whose knowledge of Nikons is underwhelming.
     
    peter, Oct 2, 2010
    #28
  9. Bruce

    Robert Coe Guest

    : On Oct 1, 6:47 pm, Alan Browne <>
    : wrote:
    : > On 10-10-01 18:26 , Savageduck wrote:
    : >
    : >
    : >
    : > > On 2010-10-01 15:15:44 -0700, Robert Coe <> said:
    : >
    : > >> On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 18:41:52 -0700 (PDT), Rich <>
    : > >> wrote:
    : > >> :
    : > >> : > Panasonic developed, one of the strongest selling points for consumer
    : > >> : > DSLRs will suddenly disappear.
    : > >> :
    : > >> : It is inevitable that mirror-penta prism cameras will die off. Cost
    : > >> : is the driver. Unless Nikon and the like want to jump prices up to
    : > >> : $8000-$15000 for top of the line DSLRs. Course, knowing Nikon, it
    : > >> : would be in-character.
    : >
    : > >> I guess my imagination is as vivid as yours, but I can't conceive of a
    : > >> reason
    : > >> to suppose that you're right. The overvalued yen might make DSLRs
    : > >> harder to
    : > >> sell, but it doesn't make them more expensive to produce. Can you cite
    : > >> any
    : > >> evidence to support that prediction? Or are you just outgassing some
    : > >> pent-up
    : > >> hot air?
    : >
    : > >> Bob
    : >
    : > > Rich, "outgassing some pent-up hot air"!
    : >
    : > > Bob, I believe you have just stated the reason for the existence of
    : > > Rich's keyboard.
    : >
    : > Which is something as Rich's keyboard is wireless, made of plastic and
    : > made in China.
    :
    : Unfortunately. Which explains why old IBM keyboards made in the U.S.
    : of cast aluminum (even the keys!) are now sought-after.

    I'm typing this on an IBM keyboard made on October 30, 1986. The innards are
    mostly steel (not aluminum), which is why it's so heavy. But the outer shell
    AND THE KEYS are made of ... plastic!

    Bob
     
    Robert Coe, Oct 2, 2010
    #29
  10. Bruce

    peter Guest

    Rich would rather exterminate all the elephants in the world than use a
    piano with plastic keys.
     
    peter, Oct 2, 2010
    #30
  11. Bruce

    Robert Coe Guest

    : >
    : > :
    : > : > Panasonic developed, one of the strongest selling points for consumer
    : > : > DSLRs will suddenly disappear.
    : > :
    : > : It is inevitable that mirror-penta prism cameras will die off.  Cost
    : > : is the driver.  Unless Nikon and the like want to jump prices up to
    : > : $8000-$15000 for top of the line DSLRs.  Course, knowing Nikon, it
    : > : would be in-character.
    : >
    : > I guess my imagination is as vivid as yours, but I can't conceive of a reason
    : > to suppose that you're right. The overvalued yen might make DSLRs harder to
    : > sell, but it doesn't make them more expensive to produce. Can you cite any
    : > evidence to support that prediction? Or are you just outgassing some pent-up
    : > hot air?
    : >
    : > Bob
    :
    : How much did the D1x cost? The D2x? The D3 now the D3x. See a
    : progression?

    I don't keep up with the Nikon line, but the Canon T2i that I bought for my
    wife earlier this year cost about the same as the XTi I bought her four years
    ago. And the T2i is a far better camera.

    Bob
     
    Robert Coe, Oct 2, 2010
    #31
  12. Bruce

    Robert Coe Guest

    : >
    : > >> Panasonic developed, one of the strongest selling points for consumer
    : > >> DSLRs will suddenly disappear.
    : >
    : > >It is inevitable that mirror-penta prism cameras will die off.  Cost
    : > >is the driver.  Unless Nikon and the like want to jump prices up to
    : > >$8000-$15000 for top of the line DSLRs.  Course, knowing Nikon, it
    : > >would be in-character.
    : >
    : > Is that why you bought a Nikon DSLR?  So you could feel closer to the
    : > manufacturer you whine about most?
    :
    : UK sales of DSLRs are down, but revenues are up. According to this.
    : I guess that means higher cost?
    :
    : Amateur Photographer
    :
    : UK sales of DSLRs, micro system cameras and compacts shot up in
    : August, compared to the same month the year before, according to
    : figures seen by Amateur Photographer.
    :
    : The number of DSLRs sold in August rose 15.4%, compacts 6%, while
    : sales of mirrorless interchangeable lens system cameras grew 191%
    : compared to August 2009.
    :
    : Sales revenue jumped 21.1%, 4.3% and 166.3% respectively, according to
    : GfK Retail and Technology.
    :
    : However, the stats show that volume sales of DSLRs and compacts
    : slumped 3.9% and 4.3% respectively from April-June 2010, compared to
    : the same period last year. Yet sales revenue actually increased by
    : 17.4% and 5%.
    :
    : And in the first eight months of 2010, the number of DSLRs sold
    : plunged 6.1% compared to 2009, but sales revenue rose 12.2%.

    I'd guess it means higher profits or a more expensive yen. But if that's how
    Andersonomics defines "higher cost", feel free to have it your way.

    Bob
     
    Robert Coe, Oct 2, 2010
    #32
  13. Bruce

    Robert Coe Guest

    : On 2010-10-01 11:43:17 -0700, sid <> said:
    :
    : > Savageduck wrote:
    : >
    : >> On 2010-10-01 10:47:55 -0700, sid <>
    : >> said:
    : >>
    : >>> RichA wrote:
    : >>>
    : >>>> Hardly. If you sell less and make more money, margins are higher. My
    : >>>> guess? Lenses, especially more expensive new models played a part.
    : >>>> If you buy a Nikon D700 now, with a current 35mm f1.4, 85mm f1.4,
    : >>>> 70-200mm f2.8 and a 300mm f2.8, you are looking at THOUSANDS more $'s
    : >>>> than if you'd purchased the same gear 1 year ago.
    : >>>
    : >>> No shit Sherlock. But what has that to do with consumer DSLRs?
    : >>
    : >> Consider the current value of the dollar vs. the Yen vs. the Yuan.
    : >
    : > Yeah but Tonys, sorry "Bruces", op had nothing to do with the cost of loads
    : > of pro Nikon gear did it?
    :
    : Agreed.
    : My remark was a response to the forever whining Rich's intrusive gripe.
    : ...and it was meant as, but one consideration for the symptom he stated.
    :
    : As to the OP, I am sure that one of these days a reason to retire the
    : DSLR will come along. I just don't think we are about to have its
    : successor unveiled tomorrow, or even within the next 12 months.
    : ...but then I am just an old fart with no insight into the
    : manufacturers' R&D departments, so who knows what the New Year will
    : bring? One thing I am sure of, there will be something Rich can bitch
    : about, and something we can all argue over.

    What (and where) is the equivalent of Photokina in odd-numbered years?

    Bob
     
    Robert Coe, Oct 2, 2010
    #33
  14. Bruce

    Robert Coe Guest

    : : On Oct 1, 6:47 pm, Alan Browne <>
    : : wrote:
    : : > On 10-10-01 18:26 , Savageduck wrote:
    : : >
    : : >
    : : >
    : : > > On 2010-10-01 15:15:44 -0700, Robert Coe <> said:
    : : >
    : : > >> On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 18:41:52 -0700 (PDT), Rich <>
    : : > >> wrote:
    : : > >> :
    : : > >> : > Panasonic developed, one of the strongest selling points for consumer
    : : > >> : > DSLRs will suddenly disappear.
    : : > >> :
    : : > >> : It is inevitable that mirror-penta prism cameras will die off. Cost
    : : > >> : is the driver. Unless Nikon and the like want to jump prices up to
    : : > >> : $8000-$15000 for top of the line DSLRs. Course, knowing Nikon, it
    : : > >> : would be in-character.
    : : >
    : : > >> I guess my imagination is as vivid as yours, but I can't conceive of a
    : : > >> reason
    : : > >> to suppose that you're right. The overvalued yen might make DSLRs
    : : > >> harder to
    : : > >> sell, but it doesn't make them more expensive to produce. Can you cite
    : : > >> any
    : : > >> evidence to support that prediction? Or are you just outgassing some
    : : > >> pent-up
    : : > >> hot air?
    : : >
    : : > >> Bob
    : : >
    : : > > Rich, "outgassing some pent-up hot air"!
    : : >
    : : > > Bob, I believe you have just stated the reason for the existence of
    : : > > Rich's keyboard.
    : : >
    : : > Which is something as Rich's keyboard is wireless, made of plastic and
    : : > made in China.
    : :
    : : Unfortunately. Which explains why old IBM keyboards made in the U.S.
    : : of cast aluminum (even the keys!) are now sought-after.
    :
    : I'm typing this on an IBM keyboard made on October 30, 1986. The innards are
    : mostly steel (not aluminum), which is why it's so heavy. But the outer shell
    : AND THE KEYS are made of ... plastic!

    BTW, I'm guessing that if IBM ever did make a keyboard with aluminum keys, it
    was because of some concern about static electricity. But if so, they must
    have gotten around it; my many old IBM keyboards, all of which have plastic
    keys, have never given me any trouble at all. (Except when I once poured
    coffee on one of them. I couldn't use it for a few months while it dried out.)

    Bob
     
    Robert Coe, Oct 2, 2010
    #34
  15. Bruce

    Robert Coe Guest

    : On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 16:51:27 -0400, tony cooper
    : >I did notice that it was not another blurry rare moth. Your photo of
    : >that rare moth was much blurrier and out of focus. It is rare to see
    : >a photo that bad linked to. Normally, people delete the really bad
    : >shots.
    :
    : Until you post links to the discussions or posts where these "blurry
    : images" you claim to have seen (in your imagination only), you're nothing
    : but a low-life infected ****. A lying slanderous libelous dickhead of a
    : troll.

    The biological implications of that accusation are arresting. One suspects
    that the P&ST has simply memorized the spellings of a core group of words and
    strings them together into what pass for sentences without any clear idea of
    what they actually mean. Maybe he really doesn't know the difference between a
    panther and a house cat. After all, they both have whiskers and pointy ears.

    Bob
     
    Robert Coe, Oct 2, 2010
    #35
  16. []
    No. Not all consumers can afford professional, water-proofed, full-frame
    DSLRs, nor might they wish the weight of such cameras, flash systems, and
    their full-frame, wide-aperture lenses.

    David
     
    David J Taylor, Oct 2, 2010
    #36
  17. Bruce

    peter Guest

    A butler with a lisp says: Would you like your panther?
     
    peter, Oct 2, 2010
    #37
  18. No, our pest is intelligent, but extraordinarily angry. Furious. He's
    unable to express his hostility other than trying to wreck a group or two.
    I'd rather hope that'd be the valet; it's unseemly to show up at the
    dinner table sans trousers.
     
    John McWilliams, Oct 2, 2010
    #38
  19. Bruce

    peter Guest

    It's a before or after issue.
     
    peter, Oct 2, 2010
    #39
  20. Bruce

    peter Guest

    And the basis for that statement is????
    You do know what piano is, or is that only played be left wingers.
     
    peter, Oct 2, 2010
    #40
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.