Theme : identifY chemical products/ graphic arts, photo-lithography,alternative techniques.

Discussion in 'Darkroom Developing and Printing' started by Albane, Jun 17, 2004.

  1. Albane

    Albane Guest


    I participated to a workshop on photo-lithography and I would like to
    identify some of the products we used in order to buy them and go ahead.
    Could it be possible for you to give me some information or help or
    addresses to find the accurate information?
    With many thanks,
    Theme : identification of chemical products for graphic arts,
    photography, lithography, and alternative techniques.

    Description of the quiz I have to solve:

    Papers have already been impressed (they contain the latent image and
    are steel white). We work with a very few daylight. The room must be
    dark but not completely. There is no artificial lighting.

    1. Papers are imbibed with a mix of two products:
    One is brown liquid with a medium smell, I think often used in photography.
    The second one is transparent like water but is very odorous (when you
    smell it, it is very aggressive). That looks like ammoniac very
    When imbibed with this mix, in the darkroom, the prints become black
    (like dirty).
    According to you, what are these two products?

    2. In order to clean this black veil, a green-grey coloured powder is
    then used. The dry prints are put into this powder and have to stay some
    hours, still in dark. When withdrawn, this powder has changed colour and
    is now brown clear (as if it had absorbed the first brown product used).
    Apparently, this powder is an instable product.
    This powder is then introduced into water and mixed: water becomes light
    blue and makes a soapy water with moss. Prints are now introduced in
    this bath and have to stay some 2 or 3 minutes, agitated moderately.
    When withdrawn, prints have now a visible image, covered with a
    blue-grey veil.
    According to your experience, what could be this product?

    3. We end using a transparent liquid (sometimes it is crystals like
    clear brown sugar which is melted to water and becomes transparent
    liquid) put on the prints. Immediately, prints become clear pictures
    with all details and colours. Then, we dry. Pictures are ready.
    According to your experience, what could be this last product?

    I have to identify and find the chemical name of these four products and
    I would be grateful to you if you could help me.

    Thanking you for your attention and help,
    With best regards.

    Albane, Jun 17, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. Albane

    Albane Guest

    Please, could someone help in this ?
    Albane, Jun 19, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. I'm sure it's partly an issue with language -- your English is a lot
    better than my French, but what you write below still isn't what I'd
    call fluent. In any case, the brown liquid and green-gray powder you
    write about are completely unknown to me -- are you talking about lith
    printing with photographic materials, or photolithography as the term is
    used in printing books and magazines? The press industry (books,
    magazines, etc.) uses a lot of chemicals that are completely unsuitable
    for even alternate processes in photography (like lith printing) because
    they're formulated to work with lithographic films, which are also
    generally unsuited to pictorial images (though there are techniques for
    rendering either half tones or continuous tones with litho films).

    If you're trying to get the runaway development and time controlled
    contrast characteristic of certain papers in "lith" developers with
    photographic images, you need to start with the right papers and then
    use the right developers, but none of it resembles what you describe
    below, as far as I'm aware.

    I may be a scwewy wabbit, but I'm not going to Alcatwaz!
    -- E. J. Fudd, 1954

    Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
    Lathe Building Pages
    Speedway 7x12 Lathe Pages

    Opinions expressed are my own -- take them for what they're worth
    and don't expect them to be perfect.
    Donald Qualls, Jun 19, 2004
  4. How about reading a book on graphic arts technology? Or even the relevant
    Kodak catalogue?
    Michael A. Covington, Jun 20, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.