thinking about a D70

Discussion in 'Digital SLR' started by sasquatch, Feb 13, 2005.

  1. sasquatch

    Bob Salomon Guest

    Giotto's now supplies precut protective screens in 1.5, 1.6, 1.8, 2.0,
    2.5, 3.0 and 3.5" diagonal sizes. These are crystal clear, use no
    adhesive, come 3 to a pack with a cleaning cloth for the screen and a
    pressure card to apply it. Will be sold at camera stores.
    Bob Salomon, Feb 17, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. sasquatch

    Sheldon Guest

    I already got a replacement LCD cover for mine. Haven't lost it yet, but
    they are only about $10, and a lot more solid than a piece of clear plastic
    that a button, zipper, or buckle could easily tear through. They do put
    that little hole in there to tie it to something, so I guess they are trying
    to tell us something. :) At least it's not like that line of Olympus p and
    s cameras that knocked the lens cap off everytime you turned it on.
    Sheldon, Feb 17, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. sasquatch

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    [ ... ]
    Hmm ... very interesting possibility. What are the chances that
    a belt or clothing will hook it and peel it up when wearing on a neck

    DoN. Nichols, Feb 18, 2005
  4. sasquatch

    Alan Meyer Guest


    DoN. Nichols wrote:

    I've had good luck with the plastic protector I put on my LCD.
    I've also had one on my Palm VIIx for about 3 years. The Palm
    gets a lot of heavy use, including much abrasion from the metal

    I don't think a button, zipper, or buckle could tear through it,
    or sharper objects either. I think you'd need a sharp knife with
    some force behind it. I also don't think anything is likely to
    hook under it and peel it off. You've got to work to get
    something under a corner of the plastic and peel it up. Casual
    rubbing won't do it. The plastic is not like saran wrap. It's
    pretty heavy, tough stuff with a pretty sticky adhesive.

    Alan Meyer, Feb 18, 2005
  5. sasquatch

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    [ ... ]
    That sounds quite good. Protection from anything other than a
    concentrated blow (which would simply flex the plastic, and break the
    harder plastic of the LCD screen). For protection from that, I think
    that a combination of what you are describing with the sacrificial
    clip-on plastic cover over it. (That may well break, but protect the
    LCD while doing so.)

    DoN. Nichols, Feb 18, 2005
  6. sasquatch

    Ken Tough Guest

    Correction. The lens cap gets knocked off every time you move the
    camera to/from a bag, turn around, or rub it against something rough
    and dirty.

    When you switch the camera on, the lens cap remains very firmly
    attached and the camera grinds like it's set on darkroast espresso.
    Ken Tough, Feb 18, 2005
  7. sasquatch

    Ken Tough Guest

    Which of course it needs to be because those pocket PCs are
    used with touch-screen styluses which are by no means gentle
    on the plastic.
    Ken Tough, Feb 18, 2005
  8. sasquatch

    Eager Guest

    I lost an LCD protector, too, and now I just use a piece of clear
    packing tape to hold the bottom tab of the protector to the camera (the
    top hooks securely into the camera). That's worked well for more than
    two months, now.

    The LCD screen on my old Coolpix 4500 was all scratched to hell within
    its first month and Nikon tokd me it'd be a VERY expensive repair...

    Eager, Feb 18, 2005
  9. sasquatch

    Chuck Guest

    or wait for the replacement of the 300d (should be announced
    I was right ! :p
    Chuck, Feb 18, 2005
  10. sasquatch

    Jim Guest

    Little late chiming in with my suggestion, but the system I use to not lose
    the cover is ten-pound fishing line (Two bucks at Walmart).

    One knot at little hole bottom left of the protector and one knot on a ring
    attached to strapholder on body.

    Of course you have to use fishing knots (How? Google!).

    Jim from Hilton Head
    Jim, Feb 25, 2005
  11. sasquatch

    Sandi Guest

    Sandi, Feb 28, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.