Transfer data to PC

Discussion in 'Video Cameras' started by Phil, Sep 30, 2006.

  1. Phil

    Phil Guest

    I have a Canon MV650i which to be honest I have rarely used.

    I would like to start using it and to edit some footage.

    What is the best way to transfer to my PC, what connections would I need not
    sure if I have fire wire????or whatever it is called and what does it look

    Many thanks

    Phil, Sep 30, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  2. Phil

    Jukka Aho Guest

    Firewire (aka "IEEE-1394" aka "i.Link" aka "DV IN"/"DV OUT") is your
    best option here. On your camcorder, the Firewire connector is located
    on the front, under the removable cover below the microphone grill,
    right next to the s-video connector. It is labelled as "DV".

    If your PC doesn't already have a Firewire controller, you will need to
    buy one. If it is a normal desktop PC, usually you would buy a Firewire
    controller on a PCI card. They look like this:


    Your camcorder has a small 4-pin Firewire connector, but many PC
    firewire cards - such as the one illustrated above - come with large
    6-pin Firewire connectors. Hence, you may need to buy a 6-pin to 4-pin
    Firewire cable which has the large connector on one end and the smaller
    one on the other end.
    Jukka Aho, Sep 30, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  3. Phil

    Tony Morgan Guest

    There's a run-through of the basics at:

    There's a bigger choice of video editors now, but the principles are the
    Tony Morgan, Sep 30, 2006
  4. Be careful you don't get the one that's the other way around :)
    Laurence Payne, Sep 30, 2006
  5. Phil

    Phil Guest

    Many thanks for the feedback guys


    Phil, Sep 30, 2006
  6. Phil

    Phil Guest

    Thanks for the help, have purchased the connecting lead and now can transfer

    Phil, Oct 1, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.