Transfer glass slides onto CD?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Anon, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. Anon

    Anon Guest

    Hi, I live in the UK and have taken a huge stack of colour 'glass' slides to
    a couple of shops such as Boots (who use the Kodak service), but have been
    told they cannot be transferred onto CD or prints, because they are glass.
    They can only do the plastic ones.

    Does anyone know more about this, or where I can get this transfer done
    relatively quickly (within 1 week) in London?


    Anon, Feb 19, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. Anon

    Ken Luther Guest

    FWIW --

    Have you thought about scanning them into a picture editor of some sort, and
    digitizing them that way.

    Just a thought.

    good luck.
    Ken Luther, Feb 19, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. Anon

    Anon Guest

    Thanks, but how would I scan them? With my normal 1200dpi flatbed scanner?
    I wouldn't think that would give good enough resolution?
    Anon, Feb 20, 2004
  4. Anon

    Ric Guest


    If the slides are the same size as the plastic ones you shold be able to use
    a flatbed with a slide scanning attachment.. I just got a Canon 5000F and
    you would not believe the quality. Scaned a Kodachrome from 1957 then
    printed it out on my I550 and you would not believe the quality and my scan
    was only at 600 dpi.

    Ric, Feb 20, 2004
  5. Anon

    Anon Guest

    Thanks. So could I just use my standard flatbed, and put all the slides on
    the scanner, close the lid, and hit scan? I don't have any special
    attachments and don;t think they do one.

    Anon, Feb 20, 2004
  6. Anon

    Ric Guest

    In order to scan slides you will need a scanner with a secondary light
    source above the slide so that the light will pas through the slide and be
    detected by the scan head. You will also need a scanner with some device to
    hold the slides. On the Canon 500F this is just a simple plastic holder
    which sits in the middle of the platen and holds the slides under the light
    source in the top of the scanner.

    hope this helps
    Ric, Feb 20, 2004
  7. Anon

    Paul Coen Guest

    Actually, you can buy a third-party unit as well if you already have a
    scanner. Satter (part of Omega) made a unit that they called a "Visionscan"
    that provided a good backlight. You can scan transparencies or negatives up
    to 5" x 4" with it. The only downside vs. some of the integrated units is
    that there's no feed mechansim. The plus is the flexibility over the
    cheaper units that are really only geared for 35mm.

    It's getting harder to find. I think Calumet still has them, and Central
    Camera in Chicago ( still lists the part as well.
    B&H and Adorama don't list them any longer, and the Satter/Omega web site
    doesn't mention the product.
    Paul Coen, Feb 21, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.