Transparency gradient

Discussion in 'Photoshop Tutorials' started by CoreyK, Oct 15, 2003.

  1. CoreyK

    CoreyK Guest

    Is it possible to create a very gradual transparency gradient? I
    would like to place a greyscale image on one layer and then place a
    color version of the same image on a new layer, above the greyscale
    image. I would then like to gradually erase the color image so that
    it appears to blend into the greyscale image. The end result should
    be a gradual transition from full color to full greyscale. I have
    tried using the erase tool in Photoshop with an airbrush on the color
    image. This works, but the transition is much too abrupt. I need it
    to uniformly change from one end of the image to the other. I have
    access to both Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator 10.
    CoreyK, Oct 15, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  2. CoreyK

    thomas Guest

    simply add a mask to the color layer and then put a gradient in your mask
    from white to black. that should give you the result you want.

    thomas, Oct 15, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  3. CoreyK

    MrJumbles Guest

    load colour image.
    copy to new layer <ctrl j>.
    desaturate new layer <shift ctrl u>.
    add layer mask to top layer.
    make sure layer mask is selected.
    select gradient tool.
    draw a black to white gradient.
    Of course you can swap the layers around or draw the gradient
    in whatever way suits you.
    MrJumbles, Oct 15, 2003
  4. Or better: Use Channel Mixer to make the layer monochrome. Contrary to
    using desaturation, the Channel Mixer gives you total control over how
    the B&W image will look.
    Johan W. Elzenga, Oct 15, 2003
  5. CoreyK

    CoreyK Guest

    Thanks for the replies. The opacity mask with a gradient fill worked out perfectly.
    CoreyK, Oct 15, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.