Discussion in '35mm Cameras' started by sonsdad, Nov 5, 2004.

  1. sonsdad

    sonsdad Guest


    I am looking to buy a new tripod for around £100. I have looked at Benbo
    Trekker and Cullman Magic. Are these good choices or should I consider
    something else?

    Thanking you all
    sonsdad, Nov 5, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. sonsdad

    me Guest

    Maybe, what will be the primary setting in which you will use a tripod?
    me, Nov 5, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. sonsdad

    Dps Guest

    For most amateur use, i.e. no lenses larger than 300mm or bulky medium
    format equipment, I find the combination of Manfrotto 055 + 141 rc more than
    adequate. A friend of mine chose the smaller (and cheaper) configuration, as
    he found the former one too heavy duty for his style.
    Dps, Nov 5, 2004
  4. sonsdad

    TP Guest

    The Benbo is a tripod you will either love or hate. On the one hand
    it is light and versatile, but on the other hand a mere moment's lapse
    of concentration can send your expensive camera body and lens tumbling
    to the ground.

    The Cullman Magic is a clever design which can also be used as a
    monopod. Unfortunately, clever is not enough, and it is a little
    flimsy for use with a 35mm SLR.

    I would strongly recommend a Manfrotto tripod. The 190 range is
    adequate for a 35mm SLR with lenses up to 300mm, unless the lens is a
    heavy f/2.8. For longer/heavier lenses or medium format, buy a tripod
    from the Manfrotto 055 range instead.

    The 190 Pro and 055 Pro models allow the centre column to be fitted
    horizontally which is great for low angle work. It is worth buying
    one of the Pro models for this superb feature alone, which makes these
    tripods almost as versatile as a Benbo but a lot more predictable.

    You will also need a tripod head. For a three way head I recommend
    the simple but strong 141RC. I recommend that you avoid the 460Mg
    magnesium alloy head, which is frequently offered with the 055 tripod,
    as it lacks rigidity. In my opinion, Manfrotto ball heads are not
    great and if you really want a ball head you need to spend rather more
    than your £100 total budget on it.
    TP, Nov 5, 2004
  5. sonsdad

    ColynG© Guest

    Personally I don't care for either. I've found the Bogen/Manfrotto
    pods and heads to be best suited for my work.

    I currently use a 3021 pod with the original 3047 3-way head. This
    original version uses the screw-lock instead of the clamp-lock for
    holding the QR plate. A more positive lock but difficult to find since
    it has not been made in several years..

    The new version is however an excellent head in my opinion..

    Colyn Goodson
    ColynG©, Nov 5, 2004
  6. sonsdad

    sonsdad Guest

    HI Group
    Thanks for all the info. I should have said that my main use will be
    landscape shots. The Manfrotto seems to be the one but I will have to dig a
    little deeper into my pocket. Thanks for everything.
    sonsdad, Nov 5, 2004
  7. sonsdad

    Basic Wedge Guest

    I agree with TP, point for point. I had a Benbo tripod, and could not
    recommend it. I'm currently using a Manfrotto 055, and like it just fine.
    TP's opinion of Manfrotto ball heads jives completely with my own. The head
    is one area you should not hesitate to spend a bit more money on.

    Basic Wedge, Nov 5, 2004
  8. sonsdad

    TP Guest

    You are very welcome.

    It is well worth asking this type of question about equipment. I have
    wasted more money on duff tripods than I care to recall. I wouldn't
    want another serious photographer to share the same fate. ;-)

    Some other things I learned about tripods: Avoid anything with the
    words Velbon, Slik and Jessops on it; also avoid any "tripod" you
    might find in one of the Dixons Group retail outlets.
    You should be able to find a Manfrotto 190 + 141RC head for just over
    £100. Don't reject buying used, either. I have purchased several
    good used tripods on eBay UK at a considerable saving on new price.
    Both of my main studio tripods were purchased on eBay (Manfrotto), as
    was my general purpose/landscape/architectural tripod (Tiltall) and
    one of my monopods (Monostat). All have worked well and they were all
    surprisingly cheap.

    Try following this link (you may need to copy and paste into your
    browser's address window if they scroll over into another line(s):

    Good luck.

    TP, Nov 6, 2004
  9. sonsdad

    me Guest

    Woah there hoss! I have a Velbon tripod and it has given me *excellent*

    I'd recommend you stay away from e-bay or at least don't spend any more than
    you can afford to lose. Better still would be to buy from a reputable retail
    source and get your money's worth. There's nothing better than a warranty,
    service before and after the sale plus the option of returning your purchase
    if your not satisfied.
    Good Luck!
    me, Nov 6, 2004
  10. sonsdad

    me Guest

    IMO If you're doing landscape you won't want a ball head. A three way pan
    and tilt head is much easier to keep level.
    Happy Shooting!
    me, Nov 6, 2004
  11. sonsdad

    TP Guest

    Unfortunately, that statement says far more about you than it does
    about your tripod.
    TP, Nov 6, 2004
  12. sonsdad

    Bandicoot Guest

    I used to think the same, until I tried a _real_ ball-head. Now I use a
    P&T for some architectural work, but not that much else. However, a good
    ball-head is very expensive: it is much easier to engineer an 'OK' P&T head
    at a low price than to make an acceptable ballhead for low cost - so I would
    always recommend a P&T head to anyone who is trying to control the budget!

    Bandicoot, Nov 6, 2004
  13. sonsdad

    me Guest

    It's not unfortunate in the least! ;-)
    me, Nov 6, 2004
  14. sonsdad

    DD Guest

    I have had a 190 and currently have a 055CL and neither of them allow for
    horizontal positioning of the centre arm. You can remove the centre column
    on my 055CL but you can only turn it upside down. I have seen the ones
    with the horizontal position but can't recall the model number right now.
    DD, Nov 7, 2004
  15. sonsdad

    TP Guest

    The model numbers are in my post, which you quoted above.

    For the avoidance of doubt, and as you obviously have some difficulty
    reading messages before replying, they are 190 Pro and 055 Pro.
    TP, Nov 7, 2004
  16. sonsdad

    DD Guest

    Since reading is something you do exceptionally well, perhaps you would
    like to point out where I contradicted anything you wrote?

    I was simply adding to the discussion. Is that not allowed?
    DD, Nov 8, 2004
  17. sonsdad

    TP Guest

    You added nothing.
    TP, Nov 8, 2004
  18. Wolfgang Exler, Nov 8, 2004
  19. sonsdad

    Alan Browne Guest

    I would say that clarifying your ambiguities is adding something.
    Alan Browne, Nov 8, 2004
  20. sonsdad

    DD Guest

    Okay, so you can read but your just too fucking stupid to see the value of
    ANYONE else's input.

    Nothing changes with you, Polson. You're still a sick little ****.
    DD, Nov 8, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.