Trying to flatten an OLD, curled print

Discussion in 'Photography' started by MrBlobby, Jul 4, 2003.

  1. MrBlobby

    MrBlobby Guest

    Hi, I have just been given a photo from around 1923 of a Zeplin at
    Lakehurst, NJ. It's a beautiful old thing about 2 feet long and 7 inches
    high. I assume it's been rolled up for fifty years or more. I want to
    flatten it out to frame it, but I'm scared to death I'll crack it. Anyone
    know a proper technique for dealing with such a thing? Thanks.

    H. Gindoff

    MrBlobby, Jul 4, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  2. MrBlobby

    Usenet User Guest

    Ask an expert that photographer or someone that does framing before
    you do anything

    Otherwise I think that putting it in a kitchen with a pan of boiling
    water providing some humidity may help to soften the picture such that
    it wouldn't break apart if you were to try and flatten it.

    At this point I'd put a piece of glass that's large enough to cover
    the entire picture and gently place it over the picture making certain
    that the picture is on a flat surface itself. Be sure that the room is
    somewhat misty like a sauna but not so wet that your clothes become
    damp. I think you get the picture. No pun intended.

    After you flatten the image I would find someone with a high quality
    digital camera (Nikon D1X, D100, Canon 1D, 10D, etc.) and have them
    take several shots of it so that you may make reproductions if you
    wish instead of further using what appears to be a fragile picture and
    piece of history.



    Spam catcher. Not part
    of this message body.

    Usenet User, Jul 4, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.