Using Copyrighted music

Discussion in 'Professional Video Production' started by Chuck, Jul 5, 2003.

  1. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    I think there was some discussion on here a while back about using
    copyright music in your projects. How do I go about LEGALLY using
    somone's song that I plan to add into a project and will be sold on
    DVD (my finished project that is)? Do I need to contact ASCAP or
    something? Anyone know what the fees are to use copyrighted music?

    Chuck, Jul 5, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  2. Chuck

    Jay Rose CAS Guest

    I think there was some discussion on here a while back about using
    Do a deja news or google newsgroup search. We've been over this thousands
    of times.

    Or read the August issue of DV Magazine, at newsstands and mailboxes this
    week (and at in about a month), where I've got a long piece on
    music copyright, clearances, and the like.

    Or contact an intellectual property lawyer, or a clearances house.

    There are basically three different permissions you have to get, if you're
    using an existing recording in a DVD for sale. There's also a 4th
    permission, public performance, which gets cleared by outfits like
    ASCAP... and in the case of a product for sale, that one doesn't apply.
    Jay Rose CAS, Jul 5, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.