Variable Density B&W Film for monoaural audio

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Radium, Oct 10, 2006.

  1. Radium

    Radium Guest


    I like using variable-density analog B&W monoaural negative [no
    positive and no "reversal"; just the negatives] film optical tracks for
    audio. The audio characteristics of the film make my mouth-water. Yes,
    for some wierd reason, the film's audio makes me hungry. To add to the
    delicous audio quality , I would like to coat the film with bad-butter*
    and tiny traces of bitminous and anthracite coals [as well the smoke of
    those coals] before recording. After recording, I would like to clean
    it in a dark environment and then develop the clean film.

    Audio signal, in the form of light changing its intensity in an
    analogous manner to the sound, is shined onto a negative film. The film
    is developed and playback is accomplished by shining light of a
    constant intensity onto the developed film. As the light goes through
    the film, the patterns on the film will change the intensity of the
    light that is received by a photoelectric cell. The change in light
    intensity results in a changing electric current which is sent into an
    amplifier and then to a loudspeaker.

    "The Tri Ergon Process uses a technology known as variable density,
    which differed from a later process known as variable area. The Tri
    Ergon process had a pattented flywheel mechanism on a sprocket which
    prevented variations in film speed. This flywheel helped prevent
    distortion of the audio. Tri Ergon relied on the use of a
    photo-electric cell to transduce mechanicalsound vibrations into
    electrical waveforms and then convert the electrical waveforms into
    light waves. These light waves could then be optically recorded onto
    the edge of the film through a photographic process. Another
    photo-electric cell could then be used to tranduce the waveform on the
    film into an electrical waveform during projection. This waveform
    could then be amplified and played to the audience in the Theater. The
    Fox Film Corporation acquired the rights to the Tri Ergon technology in
    1927. "

    The ERPI system, Fox-Case's Movietone, and De Forest's Phonofilm use
    variable-density recording film audio

    *Here is the link which describes how my "bad butter" is made:


    Radium, Oct 10, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  2. Radium

    Alex F Guest

    strange, but in a fascinating sort of way.
    Alex F, Oct 10, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  3. Radium

    J. Theakston Guest

    Please don't feed the trolls.

    J. Theakston
    J. Theakston, Oct 10, 2006
  4. Radium

    Radium Guest

    I am not a troll.
    Radium, Oct 11, 2006
  5. Radium

    Radium Guest

    Any chance of my "Variable Density B&W Film for monoaural audio"
    fanstasy turning real?
    Radium, Oct 11, 2006
  6. Radium spake thus:
    Hmmm; is your real name Michael Scarpitti?
    David Nebenzahl, Oct 11, 2006
  7. Radium

    Tom Phillips Guest your name David Nebenzahl?
    Tom Phillips, Oct 11, 2006
  8. From

    I think you are an exception to Usenet Property #1:

    "The answer to the question 'Am I the only one?'
    is always 'No'": there is somewhere someone with
    the same interest to talk to.

    You most likely are [or are about to become] the leading
    authority on recording sound onto butter smeared film.
    Whether this is possible, how it is done, and what are the
    results -- the world can only await the report of your
    experimental results.
    Nicholas O. Lindan, Oct 11, 2006
  9. Radium

    Scott Dorsey Guest

    Sure. Call Trackwise or Chicago Optical, send them a tape and some money
    and they'll send you back some film with a VD track. It might be a
    substantial amount of money, though.

    I can do 16mm VD tracks with an Auricon galvo box here, but I'd charge more
    than a few hundred bucks to get the thing out of the closet and make sure it
    is up to factory specs first.
    Scott Dorsey, Oct 11, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.