Vertical Bands for Photoshop?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by sherman, Sep 24, 2011.

  1. sherman

    sherman Guest

    I used to be able to get vertical bands, like in this image
    (not mine),

    by using the Blurrr option in KPT5. However, KPT5 does not work
    with Photoshop CS5 and Windows 7.
    Do you have any idea on how I can create vertical
    bands like these? I am not trying to create the same type of affect. I
    need them for a variety of graphics projects.
    Thank you very much.

    sherman, Sep 24, 2011
    1. Advertisements

  2. sherman

    Savageduck Guest

    Your version of KPT5 probably needs an upgrade to work in 64 bit mode.
    Check with their updates.

    You should be able to replicate a similar effect using filters from the
    standard CS5 package.

    (It is not necessary, but converting to a "Smart Object" thereby having
    a "Smart Filter" at this stage would give you better options for
    returning to adjust to taste.)
    Filter -> Blur -> Motion Blur

    Set angle of motion blur to suit the image, and adjust "Distance" until
    the effect is as you want it. Judging for the example you are posted I
    would guess a setting of 200-300 pixels.

    Naturally there are several ways of excluding areas you don't want blurred.

    Three of those would be to either use quick select to create a layer
    mask to exclude the areas you want clean, or add a layer mask filled
    with black, and then paint in white to reveal the effect.

    ....or if you have used a "Smart Filter" a layer mask is automatically
    applied and you can fill that with black by using Command-I (PC:
    Cntr-I) and then painting in white.
    Savageduck, Sep 24, 2011
    1. Advertisements

  3. sherman

    sherman Guest

    Thank you very much.
    I appreciate it.

    sherman, Sep 24, 2011
  4. sherman

    Savageduck Guest

    Just for the hell of it here is an example using motion blur as a
    "Smart Filter" compared with the original. Not the greatest use of the
    effect, but it does demonstrate the possibility.

    < >
    Savageduck, Sep 24, 2011
  5. sherman

    Carrie Guest

    That looks good.
    My first thought about this (question) was to turn the picture sideways and
    use the motion blur that looks like wind. I once did a tutorial like for
    making a picture look like it was coating in (dripping in) ice. turn the
    picture sideways, use the effect, then turn it back to normal. It was too
    short (the lines)for what the person wanted here.
    Carrie, Sep 26, 2011
  6. sherman

    Savageduck Guest

    What I described was relatively simple and could be refined further
    with the use of "Blend" modes.
    Take a look at the "Motion Blur" filter. It has an adjustment for
    setting the direction of the effect.
    The tutorial you are citing, with turning and then straightening the
    image demonstrates ignorance of photoshop filters on the part of the
    author, ...or at least that particular filter. What you describe sounds
    very clumsy and awkward to me.
    Savageduck, Sep 26, 2011
  7. sherman

    Carrie Guest

    I don't remember where I got it, I'd put photoshop free tutorials in
    google and find things.
    I didn't know you could change the motion blur to vertical (up and down)
    and not have to put the picture sideways to put it on first. This is the
    picture I made that looks like ice effect. It was quite a few years ago, and
    might have been with PS 7 I don't remember
    When you get free tutorials from Google, you take what you get. Some of
    them I'd find did seem more complicated and I'd find faster and easier ways
    to do the same thing.
    Carrie, Sep 29, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.