video capture

Discussion in 'Video Cameras' started by me, Oct 31, 2003.

  1. me

    me Guest

    Hello folks. I'm very new to this.
    I've just got a JVC GR-DVL167 digital video camera and I'd like to be able
    to transfer films recorded with it to my computer.
    Is anyone familiar with this model and knows of this can be done as there is
    no info in the manual. It comes with a cable that connects to the digital
    camera port, but this can only transfer still pictures.

    I believe you need a Firewire card to transfer films and I haven't got one.
    I have a Radeon 9800 graphics card and a Soundblaster Live and both have
    lots of ports and am not sure if it can connect to any of these.
    Do I need to get a firewire card, and if so does anyone know wether this
    model of camera can connect to one?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    me, Oct 31, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  2. me

    Tony Morgan Guest

    You should be able to find all you need to know at:

    If you have any problems there's plenty of folk here to help you.
    Tony Morgan, Oct 31, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  3. me

    me Guest

    Thanks for the reply. It seems I need a firewire card. But does anyone have
    experience with this DV camera.
    Can it connect to a firewire card? It has a DV port, an S-video, an AV and a
    Jlip port. Will one of these do?
    As I said this area isn't covered in the manual.
    me, Oct 31, 2003
  4. me wrote...
    Yes, the JVC GR-DVL167 does accept a firewire connection and, Yes, you do
    need a firewire card to get a good capture of your shots. I got a Lucent
    firewire card from, quicklinx number 179GWS, current price
    £12.76 incl p&p. It came with the required lead and arrived within 24 hours
    (but that was in the days of no postal strikes!)

    You should enable DMA on your computer. On my Windows ME setup I did it as
    follows. Go to Control Panel > System > Device Manager tab. Click on the
    plus sign beside Disk Drives, highlight the disk drive and click on
    Properties. Go to the Settings tab and tick the DMA box.

    Richard Lebus, Oct 31, 2003
  5. me

    Tony Morgan Guest

    In message <3fa29515$0$12672$>, me
    I haven't personal experience of this particular camcorder, but on-line
    reviews tell me the below.
    It's the standard way of getting video into your PC (that much is clear
    from the link I gave you) - and from your manual :)
    Only DV-out. You may not need DV-in, but if you get serious about video
    you may wish you have it.
    Only (with your particular camcorder) S-video out. You'd use this to
    view your video on a TV or transfer directly to a video recorder.
    I imagine a four pole 3.5mm connection that allows you to do the same as
    the S-video (see above) but with sound. You should have a suitable lead
    supplied since they are a bit difficult to find. At the other end you've
    probably got phono plugs.
    Dunno. It's obviously some JVC thing. It might be the same a LANC.
    It should be.

    All miniDV camcorders are similar, just that some offer more features
    than others. The method of video editing is basically the same no matter
    what make/model you have.
    Tony Morgan, Oct 31, 2003
  6. me

    me Guest

    Thanks everyone. Look like i'll soon be buying a firewire card.
    me, Oct 31, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.