view 35mm negative on PC screen?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras' started by tg, Aug 1, 2003.

  1. tg

    tg Guest

    I know there is a gadget that can do this but I can't seem to find it. Some
    time ago I saw a TV program showing a photographer takes pictures, develop
    the 35mm film and then slide the negs into a gadget that made the pics
    appear as positives on a laptop monitor, with no printing or scanning
    needed. What is this equipment called? and where can one get it?
    Thanks for any help.
    tg, Aug 1, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  2. Strikes me that you could just fit a standard slide copier to a camcorder,
    and record the slide instead of copying it with a still camera.....Then
    connect the camcorder to a TV and watch your own still slide on TV. Results
    will be as good as the TV and camcorder resolution will allow.
    William Graham, Aug 1, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  3. tg

    Alan Browne Guest

    Not sure what you mean. Either he used a film scanner (not a flatbed
    scanner), or he used a backlight and a television camera or digital camera.

    The best way to do this, it should go without saying, is a film scanner.

    (note: a television camera cannot come anywhere close to what a the
    cheapest current digital cameras can do in this respect; and no average
    digital camera can come close to what the average film scanner can do).

    Alan Browne, Aug 1, 2003
  4. tg

    Dallas D Guest

    I seem to remember the cops using something very similar when I got a
    speeding fine once. I think it was like a microfische type of reader that
    somehow got converted into a digital image because they showed it to me on a
    computer screen.

    "I smile mostly everywhere. Well, there's some people might disagree. But
    hey, I'm playin' with the Stones, man. You know, I mean why shouldn't I
    - Keith Richards
    Dallas D, Aug 1, 2003
  5. tg

    TLR Guest

    TLR, Aug 1, 2003
  6. tg

    Alan Browne Guest

    I suppose so, but it smacks of something that looks great when you
    see it demonstrated on television, but the delivered result is much less
    than disappointing... (In any case, I bet what the poster saw, was a
    film scanner).

    Alan Browne, Aug 1, 2003
  7. tg

    Canongirly Guest

    Two devices spring to mind.

    The first was a Tamron Fotovix. Made in the early 1990's. Basically a fixed
    focus video camera pointing at a light table the size of a 35mm neg enclosed
    in a grey metal box. This wired up into the composite video socket on a tv.

    The secound was a Fuji device made in the mid 1990's, I think called an
    NP-110 (but that migt be my mind playing tricks). Basically a hand held
    colour scanner with a couple of flaps that extended down to act like legs.
    Output was via parallel port or scsi. Alleged 300dpi I remember and sold for
    about £300.
    Canongirly, Aug 2, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.