Vuescan keeps giving me the blue screen of death.

Discussion in 'Photography' started by R S H, Sep 17, 2012.

1. R S H

R S H Guest

I install the latest version of Vuescan - It goes on drive G, which is my boot drive.
    I enter my registration information and get the 3 OK
    I close down the program
    I look in the registry and find the activation, customer number and email are all there
    I start the program again and get the blue screen of death almost immediately...
    After the reboot the Registry is missing the activation code and serial number and email address
    WHY? Anyone have any ideas? Running XP SP3 with all of Microsoft's security updates installed.
    I rarely use the program so it is not an imperative for me, but it would be nice to NOT have this problem.

rsh

R S H, Sep 17, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. R S H

Alan Browne Guest

Did you write to Ed Hamrick? He's pretty responsive as I recall.

Alan Browne, Sep 18, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. You may want to post this on
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Do you reboot immediately after the install before starting
    the program?
    BSOD is often a ram allocation error.
    Shut down all non essential programs, including web
    and then try to run it, assuming you installed then rebooted first
    and it still bsod's.

Paul in Houston TX, Sep 18, 2012
  4. R S H

DanP Guest

It appears to me Vuescan has its own method of dealing with scanners bypassing Windows, ie the scanner does not need to be installed under Windows for Vuescan to see it (Wikipedia article).

It is possible that Windows does not like that. Create a system restore point then try changing the parameters for ports used by scanners (parallel, serial).

Look in your BIOS, change anything under LPT.

Before running the risk of crashing Windows register your software and do a reboot, that should keep the registration in registry.

DanP

DanP, Sep 18, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question