Wall Covering to display prints?

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras' started by dperez, Aug 24, 2004.

  1. dperez

    dperez Guest

    Once you've got that really good image, and print it, how do you display it?

    Yesterday I saw some walls that were covered with a material that velcro sticks
    to. They used a regular foamboard mount, put on the mats, and stuck pieces of
    velcro on the back. Then just stuck the prints on the wall... This seems like a
    great way to display a wall of prints at home. BUT, I can't seem to find the
    wall material on the Internet. Does anyone here know what its called, and/or
    where I can get it? It wasn't flannel. It SEEMED to have a little depth - kind
    of like a really short berber capret although it wasn't carpet...

    So, how do folks in here set up their display walls so they can display a lot of
    images, and change them easily?
    dperez, Aug 24, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. dperez

    zeitgeist Guest

    A speaker at some seminar said his studio/gallery was hung with a gray tone
    indoor/outdoor carpet. His display frames had the velcro on them and he
    could swap out images between meeting clients. This was important to him
    cause he was one of those who displayed only a few 'appropriate' sized
    images, one to a wall section. So if the consultation was about young kids
    or family, he'd 'toss' up the four or five 24x30's and 30x40's with kids and
    small familes, same for weddings, seniors, glamour.
    zeitgeist, Aug 24, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. dperez

    gsum Guest

    Epson Poster Board.

    It has a semi-matte finish and holds loads of detail. It is by far the
    cheapest way of getting a large image onto your wall as no frame
    is needed. The only problem is that the board is incredibly dense
    and even a modelling knife will not cut it easily.

    Cost - about 70UK pounds for 10 24x36 inch sheets.

    gsum, Aug 24, 2004
  4. dperez

    bob Guest

    [email protected]_nospam.com wrote in
    Whenever I've seen something similar, it was always carpet on the walls.

    The problem with foamboard is if you drymount a print to it, it will warp.
    Solutions include drymount a throwaway print on the back, glue the board to
    a frame, or use Gatorboard, or PVC instead.

    When we added onto our house, I decided to make use of a short hallway as
    a photo gallery. I plan on screwing a board to the studs the entire length
    of the hall, and hanging the framed prints from the board.

    Either that, or I might just decide how many frames I want, and install
    picture hangers in the wall permanently.

    Don't forget you will need nice even lighting.

    bob, Aug 24, 2004
  5. dperez

    dperez Guest

    Is the Epson Poster Board what the PRINT is adhered to? Then the board is hung
    on the wall? If so, what I'm after is what goes ON THE WALL so I can put velcro
    strips on the back of the poster board and then stick it to the wall...

    Bob, carpet as in INDOOR/OUTDOOR carpet? That's KIND of what the stuff I saw
    looked like but I couldn't believe it was really carpet... I'll have to go over
    to the neighborhood Menard's and look at the indoor/outdoor carpeting to see if
    this is really whats needed... I'll take a piece of velcro with me and see if
    it sticks!
    That's what I'm planning - I've got a hallway with a length of wall that my wife
    has wanted to use for a gallery for years. Can you explain what you mean by
    screwing a board to the studs and hanging prints from that? Are you talking a
    wooden board that you then put hangers in and hang the wires from the frames on?
    dperez, Aug 25, 2004
  6. [email protected]_nospam.com wrote in
    We used the stuff that covers the movable partitions in open plan offices -
    it's thin light material similar to carpet but MUCH lighter - doesn't need
    the durability. We bought it by the metre from shop diplay suppliers.
    Maybe OfficeWorks or equivalent?

    I live in an older house (1910 vintage) with high ceilings, we've got
    traditional picture rail all around, every room - except the smallest one!
    Makes hanging and changing images a breeze.
    Phil Kempster, Aug 25, 2004
  7. dperez

    Ray Paseur Guest

    I've had good luck with a picture molding - basically a strip of wood hung
    just below the crown molding. Rig a wire in the shape of an inverted "Y"
    with clips on all three ends. One clip goes on the molding and the two
    other clips go on the picture frame. Easy to change and level your
    pictures, no wall preparation or damage, etc.
    Ray Paseur, Aug 25, 2004
  8. dperez

    bob Guest

    [email protected]_nospam.com wrote in
    If you're doing it inside, there's no reason for indoor/outdoor. Any carpet
    with closed loops would work.

    I expect they use adheasive backed carpet, so they can just stick it to the

    I've been in a number of sign shops recently, and they all seem to use it.

    bob, Aug 25, 2004
  9. dperez

    dperez Guest

    Is that the same as the picture rail that was spoken of in an earlier reply? Is
    it embedded into the plaster of the wall or does it sit on the surface?

    I'll have to try a sign place and/or office supply place to see what they've
    got... I'm just surprised I didn't get any hits when looking on the internet.
    I suspect I'm not calling it by the right name.
    dperez, Aug 25, 2004
  10. dperez

    kashe Guest

    Carry a small piece of hook-side velcro and test it on samples
    of what's available. Remember you may not want your pictures to stick
    like epoxy so they're damaged when you dismount them.
    kashe, Aug 25, 2004
  11. [email protected]_nospam.com wrote in
    Our picture rail is a timber moulding plugged and screwed to the wall, just
    below the cornice. It's not a trivial job to install!
    The stuff I've used has a good descriptive name but I"m dammed if I can
    remember it. Sorry. A senior moment or CRAFTs syndrome.
    Phil Kempster, Aug 25, 2004
  12. dperez

    kashe Guest

    I was surprised that how hard it was to find a picture of the
    stuff using "picture rail" or variations of "picture mo(u)ld(ing)"

    http://www.swanpicturehangers.com/molding.html has an in-place picture
    and a cross-sectional view on the righthand side of the page.

    Actually you can use nearly any kind of molding, even heavy
    doorstop, if you can get a bevel or rabbet cut into the top surface,
    such that it's deeper next to the wall than on the room-facing edge.
    Even a decorative molding meant to sit on top of a base molding can be
    flipped upside down and work well.

    Hanging depends on the wall surface -- it doesn't have to be
    set in plaster. Consider nailing directly into studs if you can locate
    them; otherwise any of a number of screw anchor fittings should work.
    Make sure there is sufficient support if you expect to be hanging
    heavy frames and that the screws/nails are not too low on the molding,
    such that it might easily be ripped away from the wall.
    kashe, Aug 25, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.