What camera uses negatives that are 2-1/4 by 2-1/4 square???

Discussion in 'Photography' started by James ORourke, Nov 17, 2003.

  1. Hello Everybody,

    I dug up an old box of photos the other day at my folks place and came
    across a whole bunch of these 2-1/4 by 2-1/4 inch negatives. I personally
    have never seen negatives in this size and was wondering what type of
    camera uses film like this. As a point of reference the negatives date
    back to the mid 1960's.

    Thanks in advance.

    James ORourke, Nov 17, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  2. James ORourke

    Shadowboxer Guest

    any decent camera is the short answer. these negatives were likely taken on
    a vintage Argus Argoflex or something similar.

    the format is called 120 or 220.
    Shadowboxer, Nov 17, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  3. The Hasselblad 500 series. The first choice of the world's leading
    photographers for nearly half a century.
    Joop Schaeffer, Nov 17, 2003
  4. James ORourke

    RSD99 Guest

    There are many ... most notably

    Rolliflex / Rollicord ... most models

    Hasselblad ... all models.

    and many, many others. It's usually called "medium format."
    RSD99, Nov 17, 2003
  5. James ORourke

    Slingblade Guest

    Sounds like 126 film.
    Slingblade, Nov 18, 2003
  6. James ORourke

    Slingblade Guest

    Sounds like 126 film.

    Or actually I meant 120 film.
    Slingblade, Nov 18, 2003
  7. James ORourke

    Patrick L. Guest

    Medium Format. The film is either 120 or 220. My Mamiya TLR shoots square
    in this format.

    Another way they measure is in centimeters, and 2 1/4 square is the same as
    6x6 centimeters, or just 6x6, is very common.

    Medium format on 120 or 220, depending on the camera, also frames as 6x4.5
    , 6x7, 6x9.

    Patrick L., Nov 18, 2003
  8. James ORourke

    Norman Worth Guest

    There were many cameras that used the 2-1/4X2-1/4 format with either 120 or
    620 film. Some are still available. Most notable are the twin lens reflex
    cameras - made by Mamaiya, Yashica, Rollei and others. There have also been
    several notable single lens reflexes that used this size - Hasselblad, Kowa,
    Plaubel, Pentacon, Bronica, and others. There were even a few rangefinder
    models - the Kodak Chevron comes to mind. In addition to the quality and
    advanced cameras, there were many fixed focus amateur cameras with this
    format. The Kodak Duoflex was one of the most popular in the late fifties
    and early sixties.
    Norman Worth, Nov 18, 2003
  9. James ORourke

    Mr3 Guest

    What type of camera?

    As a generalization, any camera classified as medium format that used 120
    (12 exposure) or 220 (24 exposure) roll film and shot 'square'
    (2-1/4"x2-1/4"). In that time period, you had a choice of several Asian and
    European cameras.

    120/220 Roll Film - As the name indicates, the film is packaged rolled onto
    a supply spool, like packing tape. Unlike packing tape, the roll has a light
    proof paper liner shielding the unexposed film. Imagine your packing tape
    with a non-stick backing sheet. You load the film into the camera or film
    magazine by inserting the roll into the supply chamber and unrolling and
    stretching a few inches of paper liner across the framing area and engaging
    the paper liner into a take up reel. You then close the camera/film magazine
    and advance the paper wrapper until the film was in place.

    Hope this helps.

    Mr3, Nov 18, 2003
  10. James ORourke

    Soliloquy Guest

    In the 60s and before, this size was quite common in medium format cameras,
    especially in the twin-lens reflex types. A carryover from that time is the
    Hasselblad system, which still uses that format only. The 2 1/4 inch
    negative is derived from 120 sized film; and may be commonly purchased in
    many film and camera outlets. I remember one particular camera series for
    that was the Mamiya series (220, 330), and the Rolleiflex; which were all
    twin-lens reflex professional cameras and very very popular because of the
    excellent quality of the lens from Zeiss.
    Soliloquy, Nov 18, 2003
  11. James ORourke

    Bob Sull Guest

    In rality, the format varies when using 120 or 220 film. The 6 X 4.5,
    6 X 6 (2-1/4 X 2-1/4 incjes) and 6 X 7 cm cameras all use 120 or 220 film.

    The square negs could be from a number of cameras, Rolleiflex and
    Rolleicord, Hasselblad, Mamiya, etc all have square negs and have been
    around for quite a while.

    BTW, Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Minolta all make "decent cameras" that don't
    use 120 or 220 film.

    Bob Sull, Nov 18, 2003
  12. James ORourke

    Bob Sull Guest

    The Hasselblad XPAN and XPAN II use 35mm film. You can get 24 X 36mm
    and 24 X 65mm panoramic shots with the XPAN cameras.

    Bob Sull, Nov 18, 2003
  13. James ORourke

    David Guest

    actually, 120 and 220 film, and cameras taking this type film, are called
    medium format. a 2 1/4 by 2 1/4 size image is one product you can get with
    medium format camera.

    don't forget the holga medium format camera.

    bottom line....you can't tell the camera from the size film.

    David, Nov 19, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.