What do you call the thing that mounts the viewfinder to the camera?

Discussion in 'Professional Video Production' started by Lappincrew, Mar 4, 2004.

  1. Lappincrew

    Lappincrew Guest

    On a broadcast video camera (Sony Betacam), there is a mount that
    fastens the viewfinder to the front of the top handle. I'm told it's a
    hot shoe dovetail mount, but I was under the impression that a HOT
    shoe must be powered.
    I'm trying to write some instructions for a new product. Thanks for
    your help.

    Lappincrew, Mar 4, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. Lappincrew

    MitchGross Guest

    I would refer to it as a dovetail channel mount.

    MitchGross, Mar 4, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. You are correct that the mount is not......hot, meaning it's not a power
    Still...... pretty much all professional users (assuming that the users of
    a "broadcast video camera (Sony Betacam)" are paid veteran camera operators)
    know exactly what you are talking about when you say "Hot Shoe".
    It's design is indeed "dovetail", and THAT is the "shoe" part.
    The pictures and descriptions in the manuals that I have, (Sony BVW-300A and
    BVW-D600) point to it and call it the...... "Light Shoe".
    Accessories may be mounted by utilizing the "dovetail" feature, or by using
    the 1/4 20 threaded hole in the top of the ........."Light Shoe"

    Bill F.
    Bill Farnsworth, Mar 4, 2004
  4. <<SNIPPED a bunch of stuff I wrote>>

    .............HOWEVER........... I just realized that the Sony HDW-730/750
    cameras I have been using have a powered light shoe. It's called the
    "Intelligent Light Shoe." It has a 2 pin socket that provides 50W of 12+ V
    power for a light.

    Bill F.
    Bill Farnsworth, Mar 4, 2004
  5. Lappincrew

    MitchGross Guest

    Yes Bill, but that's not what he's talking about. He's referring to the block
    onto which the viewfinder assembly itself mounts to the camera. That's not a
    hot shoe or a "cold" show at all. That's a dovetailed block of steel or
    aluminum on the camera (usually part of the handle assembly but not
    necessarily) onto which a channel in the viewfinder assembly slips over. So I
    think a "dovetail channel mount" would be the most accurate.

    The hot shoe or intelligent hot shoe is for mounting a light or other accessory
    on top of the camera and has nothing to do with this.

    MitchGross, Mar 4, 2004
  6. Lappincrew

    Ken P. Guest

    Sony calls it a "Viewfinder Fitting" or "Viewfinder Shoe" and "Lock Ring".

    Ken P.
    Ken P., Mar 4, 2004
  7. Crap...... I wish I had read the post more closely. I was thinking of the
    wrong application.
    You are right Ken.
    Well......... back to the bar.

    Bill Farnsworth, Mar 4, 2004
  8. Lappincrew

    Lappincrew Guest

    Thanks guys, your recommendations have helped me out.

    Lappincrew, Mar 5, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.