What is it called when the 1-2-pixel-wide outline of a sprite isfaded against its background?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by Scott H, Jan 15, 2008.

  1. Scott H

    Scott H Guest

    For example, on the new Yahoo! Chess boards, the outlines of the
    pieces are faded against the chessboard tiles.

    1. What is this graphical effect called?
    2. What formula is used to calculate the RGB values of the faded
    Scott H, Jan 15, 2008
    1. Advertisements

  2. Scott H

    Mike Russell Guest

    Alpha compositing, or compositing for short, is probably the most common
    term for this.
    A weighted sum, based on the percent overlap of the object of the background
    and foreground color values for each channel.
    Mike Russell, Jan 15, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.