What's the filter number I need for infrared-like effect?

Discussion in 'Digital SLR' started by John Candy, Jan 15, 2008.

  1. John Candy

    John Candy Guest

    There is a filter you can get for digital cameras that gives a similar
    effect to infrared photography. I would like to buy one but forgot the
    filter number. I've done a little infrared photography in the past with 35mm
    and really like the effect. My calendar from last year was haunted places
    done in infrared by Simon Marsden. I like his work a lot. Are these filters
    very good or just a cheap trick and not like infrared photography at all?
    John Candy, Jan 15, 2008
    1. Advertisements

  2. John Candy

    RichA Guest

    89 or 90. You can actually buy tailored cut off filters from this
    Prices seem reasonable.

    RichA, Jan 15, 2008
    1. Advertisements

  3. Nashville Cat, Jan 15, 2008
  4. John Candy

    Frank Arthur Guest

    You don't have to spend big bucks to convert your digital camera to
    Infrared. All you need is a filter. Check Google for "Hoya" or "B&W"
    filters for Infrared information to select the right filter.
    Frank Arthur, Jan 15, 2008
  5. John Candy

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Jan 15, 2008
  6. John Candy

    RichA Guest

    I think the Sigma might be a good choice for an IR camera as well.
    Just unscrew the front filter from the camera.
    RichA, Jan 15, 2008
  7. John Candy

    ____ Guest

    Its that thingy. If you figure it out,.. it's that cool thingy.

    Some cameras won't allow the use of just a 89B,...the way to test is
    with a Television remote. If you can photograph the red beam your camera
    will work.
    ____, Jan 16, 2008
  8. They're not a cheap trick, they are real IR photography, but they're not

    There are a variety of names for these things, but "R-64" is a deep red and
    "R-72" cuts out pretty much everything but the IR.

    Digital sensors have an IR-block filter to prevent the color rendition from
    getting messed up by IR, which the individual color filters on the sensor
    don't block very well, so IR sensitivity is low, and you'll need to use a
    tripod and very long exposures. The camera's meter will probably be way off:
    use manual mode, shoot a test shot, look at the histogram, adjust exposure,
    and shoot again.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Jan 17, 2008
  9. John Candy

    Jaja Guest

    I have one infra red filter that I want to sell. this a never used , never
    mounted on a camera 77mm filter infra red, it reads B+W 77 092 IR 20-40x
    quite professional quality.
    are you interested?
    Jaja, Jan 17, 2008
  10. John Candy

    Chris Savage Guest

    No thanks.
    Chris Savage, Jan 17, 2008
  11. John Candy

    John Candy Guest

    Thanks to all that gave serious replies. Need all the info I need now.
    John Candy, Jan 18, 2008
  12. They are not trick filters, but real IR-pass filters.
    There are several, check out:

    Hoya R72 is a good one to start with (cheap, and widely available).
    Gisle Hannemyr, Jan 20, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.