Where can I find a plastic meterial in Melb. to make a Still Life Photographic table top?

Discussion in 'Australia Photography' started by anon, Sep 23, 2003.

  1. anon

    anon Guest


    I wish to make a Still Life Phographic Table Top (one similar to the
    one show in this link: http://www.adorama.com/BG220.html ) so I can
    play with a bit of Still Life photography. I am wondering where I can
    find such type of material in Melbourne and what is the proper name
    for this material? Polyproperlene?
    The plastic material will need to enable light to shine through from
    the bottom though....

    Thank in advance.

    anon, Sep 23, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  2. anon

    Derek Guest

    any perspex supplier
    Derek, Sep 23, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  3. anon

    Miro Guest

    Plexiglass = Perspex
    Miro, Sep 23, 2003
  4. anon

    [BnH] Guest

    You can try your local advertising company.

    Those plastic used for neon sign are of the same material IIRC.

    [BnH], Sep 23, 2003
  5. anon

    Wiz Guest

    Do you want the translucent material so u can backlite the objects? This
    scratches and most times white paper is placed over the stuff.

    If you want white the cheapest material is a plastic mounting board
    comes in sheets 1200 x 2400 about 3mm thick and will shape to the

    Wiz, Sep 23, 2003
  6. anon

    Andy G Guest

    perspex is it
    a glass shop
    they make it thick and thin.
    ~6mm is good
    Andy G, Sep 23, 2003
  7. anon

    Snaps! Guest

    Ho hum... Yawn!
    How many aus.photo readers does it take to tell someone where to get a piece
    of Perspex?
    SIX according to my count and I don't even live in Melbourne!

    58 Taunton Drv
    VIC, 3192
    PH. (03) 9583 0373

    Snaps!, Sep 23, 2003
  8. (anon), far, far away from here, appears to have

    Here's a similar idea.


    cheers, Mic (Reply address works...)

    "Those who flee temptation generally leave a forwarding address."
    -- Lane Olinghouse
    M i c C u l l e n, Sep 23, 2003
  9. anon

    Rob Guest

    Acrylic which is sold under the brand names of Perspex, Plexiglas etc.

    A good supplier/fabricator will be able to heat and bend the material
    for you (so that you have no seams)

    If you want a continuously flexible system you might consider
    polycarbonate i.e. Lexan
    You need to really think this through as you can get away with an awful
    lot using plain white paper, good reflectors, a large desk and a rig to
    support the paper from above. Paper is cheap and easy to change or pack
    away. You might find that your plastic fabrication really won't serve
    your purpose until you experiment, i.e. it might turn out to be a costly

    A few questions,

    What type of objects do you wish to shoot?

    What lighting effect do you wish to achieve?

    How large would the largest objects be?

    BTW the better light tables support the objects on glass some inches
    above the diffusion element.


    Rob, Sep 23, 2003
  10. anon

    anon Guest


    Thank you so much for the useful info. you have provided.
    The reason that I asked was I was someone on the weekend who had one
    of those (as a kit) and her piece of Plastic (the table top) is
    flexible and can be rolled into a roll (so the curve is not fixed).

    To answer your questions, I don't really have any job I need to do...
    but just want to experiment.
    I want to shot wine glasses, bottle etc.. Hence want ligt to shine
    through from the bottome of the table.
    I am not too sure at this stage... just lke to experiment. Probably
    the end result should look something like an ad of a wine or drink
    from a Magazine.
    Not too large... think a wide of 1.5m should be plenty to cover for
    my need.
    Do you mean to have a piece of normal glass act as a table top, then
    place a deffusion element a couples of inches below the table top
    infront of the light/flash?
    Can I use paper (instead of plastic) as the back and still shoot
    bottles etc. and produce similar result?

    anon, Sep 23, 2003
  11. anon

    Rob Guest

    If you need the light to shine up through the base of the bottle then
    you need a translucent table however a reflective table with a suspended
    transparent work surface may suffice.
    Magazine shots vary a lot, most in foody mags are well lit reflective
    illumination rather than under lit.
    Width isn't usually a problem height is the main factor to consider as
    the higher your table the greater the degree of fleixiblity you have
    apart from the fact that it will accommodate larger images. A bigger
    table allows you to better control reflections on specular objects and
    allows you to work with wider angle lenses without the background
    Yep, lighting and intelligent use of stands etc is the key. acrylic
    blocks are great to raise objects and if the exposure is goo you can
    effectively hide or mask them from the shot.

    If you can find a copy of the Finelight Portfolio by Dean Collins buy it
    as it's an invaluable resource for practical photographic lighting

    Good luck,

    Rob, Sep 24, 2003
  12. anon

    anon Guest

    Thank you for the information.
    Yes, the idea to have translucent material is so I can backlite the
    objects (glasses/bottles etc...).

    Mounting board won't do it as it can be backlite. Although this can
    be use for objects that doesn't require to be backlited.

    anon, Sep 24, 2003
  13. anon

    anon Guest


    Thank you for that. That is a good DIY Lightbox Instruction set.
    Very handy. Thanks again.

    anon, Sep 24, 2003
  14. anon

    anon Guest


    Thanks again for your pointers. Much appreciated and will start experimenting soon.

    anon, Sep 25, 2003
  15. anon

    Graham Guest

    Plastic centre, Viking Court, Cheltenham.
    Graham, Sep 26, 2003
  16. anon

    Graham Guest

    I use the Plastic centre in Viking Court in Cheltenham, I find them
    cheaper than Menzel. There is another similar company also at the end of
    Viking court, across the street from the Plastic centre, so there are
    plenty to choose from in quite a small area.
    Graham, Sep 26, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.