Which filter?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Developing and Printing' started by rgans, Sep 10, 2003.

  1. rgans

    rgans Guest

    Mostly, I shoot with FP4+. When I shoot desert or mountain scenes (in
    California), I use a deep red filter and am very happy with the results.
    But, recently, I was at the seashore and I started to get confused about
    which filter, if any, to use, to bring out the sparkle and pop in the water.
    I would appreciate any tips or thoughts.

    B&W Landscape and Still Photography: http://www.ronaldgansphotography.com
    rgans, Sep 10, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  2. rgans

    Mark A Guest

    Perhaps a rotating polarizer would be best for water scenes.
    Mark A, Sep 10, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  3. "rgans" <>
    wrote in message
    You can get a pretty good idea of what a filter will do
    just by looking through it.
    Since bringing up sparkle and foam on water requirs
    darkening the water the same filters used to darken skys and
    bring out clouds will have a similar effect. A dark red
    filter will give you an exagerated effect, an orange or
    yellow filter less effect.
    If you are photographing people beware that red filters
    tend to wash out skin tones. Green is a better choice where
    the sky or water is to be darkened without blowing out skin.
    A polarizer is also often useful for water. As with skys
    it has a somewhat different effect than a color filter. Also
    again, you can see what it is doing by looking through it.
    Richard Knoppow, Sep 11, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.