Who should pay? Manfrotto or Samsung?

Discussion in 'Photography Chat' started by Stormbind, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Stormbind

Stormbind

I have a Samsung GX10 of supposedly tough "take anywhere" professional build quality. I also have a manfrotto tripod of supposedly stable "take anywhere" construction.

These items were bought new and are fully guaranteed but not insured. As I have sadly discovered, branding doesn't mean much in a world of mass produced junk.

In my bedroom, the tripod quick-release plate released itself and my camera has cracked!! :mad:

Initially, I was really ****ed with Samsung because a professional camera should not break so easily. After all, the GX10 is supposed to be a camera with robust weather-sealed construction and it cannot even survive a bedroom! :(

However, the retailer has confirmed that the Manfrotto tripod is actually faulty! Because of the damage incurred, they suggest returning the item directly to Manfrotto for inspection.

Samsung have implied that their guarantee does not cover faulty workmanship or faulty materials exposed by dropping the device, even a daily accident. My interpretation is that if you own one of these you should keep it wrapped in a tough protective case as use as a paper weight?

Manfrotto won't even answer me despite that I have now had multiple third party confirmations that the tripod is absolutely faulty!

Please excuse me but I have deleted a long list of foul words to describe my experience. Has anyone else had an experience like this? :(

Stormbind, Feb 17, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question