withdraw the text

Discussion in 'Photoshop Tutorials' started by tsin, Sep 30, 2003.

  1. tsin

    tsin Guest

    how to withdraw the text crotchet of a photo without affecting the plane
    rear of the photo

    tsin, Sep 30, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  2. tsin

    Tacit Guest

    how to withdraw the text crotchet of a photo without affecting the plane
    If the photo is flattened and the text is not on a layer:

    Step 1: You can't.
    Tacit, Sep 30, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  3. tsin

    Bmud Guest

    Step 1: You can't.

    Wrong Answer. There might be a way. You just have to get creative.
    You are right in certain conditions. There are large dependencies on
    the image's SIZE and resolution and then the size of the text relative
    and then what is meant to be behind the text.

    Method #1: assuming that you're using Photoshop 7 and have the heal
    tool available you could very well try this if the text is small and
    easy to pick out.
    Get a selection of the text you want to get rid of.
    A: (magic wand.. ew.)
    B: (Make a marquee selection of the general area. Then [selection,
    color select]. Pick out the color of the text with the eyedropper.
    Don't give it too much buffer space via the slider.)
    Expand this new selection by a little bit. Enough that you're bleeding
    in to the image by a few pixels width. Now heal tool within the
    selection like crazy until you fill up the whole thing. That might
    work..might not.

    Method #2: look in to cropping...

    Method #3: the LogoAway filter for virtualdub. I've never tried it but
    it apparently works well.
    You might have to convert a few more times than you'd like to get it
    in and out of VD but hey.. you might also get a really nice final

    Good luck!
    Bmud, Sep 30, 2003
  4. tsin

    Tacit Guest

    Wrong Answer. There might be a way. You just have to get creative.


    You can retouch the image to remove the text, in any of a number of ways,
    including some you did not mention--such as using the clone tool to manually
    remove the text.

    But all of these techniques WILL NOT restore what used to be there. There is
    nothing "underneath" the text; the information about what values those pixels
    once held is gone. It can be fudged over, but the original pixels can't be

    My interpretation of the original poster's request was that he was looking for
    the Photoshop command that will take away the text and leave whatever used to
    be there. In a flattened image, there is no such command.
    Tacit, Sep 30, 2003
  5. tsin

    Warren Sarle Guest

    Warren Sarle, Sep 30, 2003
  6. tsin

    Bmud Guest

    That's a very relavent link and better explains what I was suggesting.
    Using the rubber stamp is good sometimes. Other times the heal tool is
    better. All of the methods have flaws. Also, the original post, you're
    right, did sound a bit like that. Just take those things with a grain
    of salt. I think the link is just what we needed to explain how
    restoration really works. =)
    Bmud, Oct 1, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.